Secure Your Home During Vacation Season With These Tips
Vacation season is upon us! But before you pack your bags and head out the door, have you thought about how to protect your house while you’re gone? Ryan Electrical Solutions can give you peace of mind in knowing your home is safe, even when you’re away.
But first, remember these easy, yet often overlooked tips:
- Lock your doors. Sounds obvious, but sometimes when you run in to grab one last thing before heading out of town, you might forget to re-lock the door. Double-check every door!
- Lock your windows. When the weather's nice, we often keep our windows open. It only takes one open window for a burglar to think your house is an easy target. Do a final window check in your house before leaving.
- Use a security bar in your sliding glass doors. Sliding glass doors are a burglar’s favorite – they provide a great view of what’s available to steal in your house, they’re easier to open than other doors, and they’re usually located in the back of your home. Place a security bar (or even a wooden dowel) on the non-sliding side to help keep the door in place.
- Draw your curtains. Strategically pull some sheers closed so it’s harder for burglars to see what you have inside and difficult to see if you’re home. But don’t go overboard and close ALL your curtains – a completely closed-up house looks more likely that no one is home.
- Don’t leave hidden keys outside. Under the floor mat or nearby rocks are the first places a burglar will look. Leave a key with a family member or trusted neighbor instead.
Those quick tips will go a long way in protecting your home for minimal cost. However, there are more steps you can take that will pay off even bigger – which is especially important considering the average loss from a home burglary is $2,316 (according to AAA).
Security Camera Installation
Whether you’re home or not, you don’t want an intruder breaking in. They could harm you or your family, steal your belongings, or damage your property. Ryan Electrical Solutions can install security cameras that allow you to keep a real-time view of your home or business right from your smartphone!
It’s more affordable than you might think, and the protection you get for you and your family is priceless.
Strategic Exterior Lighting
In addition to security cameras, having sufficient exterior lighting can deter burglars from choosing your home to prey on. After all, it’s much easier for them to get caught if the place is all lit up.
Consider installing the following exterior lighting solutions:
- Lights along pathways
- Spotlights on the front of your house to eliminate dark/blind spots
- Motion sensor lights near every doorway
A few carefully placed lights can help keep burglars at bay – and it spruces up your house at the same time!
Whole House Automation
When you’re out of town, you don’t want to be running the AC the entire time. But you also don’t want to come home to a burning hot house with dead houseplants! You can reduce energy consumption and control your home’s temperature right from your smartphone with home automation controls. Set the thermostat at a moderate level while you’re gone and crank it up on your way home so it’s ready for your arrival.
You can also control your lighting – for example, you can turn on a few interior lights remotely, which can make burglars think you’re home and help deter criminal activity.
If you’re heading out of town this summer, now is the time to start thinking about protecting your home while you’re away. Or if you already have a security system and exterior lighting, you can automate technology to make daily life even easier! Either way, Ryan Electrical Solutions can help. Our trained professionals will guide you in choosing the right electrical solutions for your home. And our certified electricians provide professional installation for whichever solution you choose.
We offer free estimates! If you’ve been considering installing security cameras, exterior lighting, or home automation, contact us today at 217.698.4877 so you can head out for vacation knowing your home is protected while you’re away.