Home Security - 5 Tips to Keep Your Home and Loved Ones Safe
Our homes are our “safe place,” but unfortunately, we live in a world that forces us to take extra safety precautions when it comes to our home and loved ones. If you’ve had a burglary, or perhaps, heard about one in the news recently, you may feel that your security has been compromised. Locking your doors and windows is one thing, however, really evaluating access points into your home takes a little more attention to detail. Here are a few safety tips and tricks that can help protect your belongings, as well as, give you better peace of mind.
- Keep your doors locked with a deadbolt. Kicking a door in is truly as easy as it appears on TV. However, with a deadbolt lock, this forced entry is nearly impossible. If you really want to go the extra step, consider installing a Smart Lock or Keyless Door Lock. They offer extra security with spring-bolt and deadbolt reinforcement technology.
- Don’t hide keys. It’s true, most of us are guilty when it comes to hiding a key for convenience purposes. But let’s face it, how hard is it to find a hidden key? The first place criminals will look is under the doormat or under nearby rocks.
- Install cameras. With today’s technology, installing a home surveillance system is really not as difficult or expensive as it used to be. If you’re not ready to purchase a high-tech security system, you might consider a Ring or Nest camera. Linked directly to an app on your smart phone, you can keep watch over who goes to and from your home.
- Install exterior lighting. Criminals will often take extreme measures when it comes to breaking into a home, such as watching your home and learning your habits. Have a dark corner in your backyard? This will serve as the perfect hiding spot. A bright exterior will discourage thieves from targeting your home. Motion lights are a great way to discourage unwanted visitors from even stepping into your doorway.
- Avoid advertising your location. Don’t post on social media about your vacation while you’re on vacation. Though you trust your Facebook friends, you can never be 100% sure who sees that information, especially if your profile is set on public or if you have many followers. In the world we live in today, we must take these extra safety precautions.
Be sure to consider these safety tips the next time you leave for a long period of time, or even for a regular work day. The moment you become lax with your home security practices could be the moment a burglar strikes. Give Ryan Electrical Solutions a call and let our experts provide you with an estimate to better secure your home. Ryan Electrical Solutions has an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau and has served Central Illinois for over 24 years. Don’t hesitate to ask our technicians for their professional opinions. We look forward to hearing from you.